The online application for Certificate of Character has been developed to enhance service delivery. All information submitted at the time of the application is used exclusively for the purpose of processing the application for the Certificate of Character. The applicant shall ensure that all information (including email address) submitted when making an application is true and correct.
The printed format should be on plain A4 White Paper only for a valid Certificate of Character.
Any application made online after office hours/during weekends/on public holidays will be processed as from the next working day.
In case of any discrepancy on a Certificate of Character already issued, the applicant may contact respective Police Divisional Headquarters.
For any other queries, the applicant may contact the helpdesk on 2149794 during Office Hours (9:00 to 16:00) or send an email on
For complaints through email, applicants should ensure that they provide their Name, Surname, NIC/Passport Number, Acknowledgement ID, and Application Reference Number.
- Any citizens of Republic of Mauritius & Outer Islands and Foreigner who holds resident/work permit.
- Applicant can authorize any person to apply the COC on his/her behalf at the respective DHQ with his authorization in writings.
- More than one original of a certificate can be obtained within a period of 3 months from the date of issue of the first certificate. Besides the original application, applicant can apply for two additional certificates within the prescribed period.
- Birth Certificate (computerized A4 format)
- National Identity Card/ Passport for Non Citizen
- Marriage Certificate (where applicable)
- Other documents referring to any annotation on BC & MC (e.g Change of name, Rectification etc)
- Proof of Residence in Mauritius
- Authorization letter where applicable
- At the nearest Police Divisional Headquarters as follows:-
- Piton DHQ
- Port Louis South DHQ
- Rose Hill DHQ
- Port Louis North DHQ
- Flacq DHQ
- Moka Police Station
- Curepipe DHQ
- Rose Belle DHQ
- Rodrigues DHQ
For online, on the certificate of character portal https://ecertificateofcharacter.govmu.org.
- Within a period of two to three weeks or 2-6 weeks.
- If applicant has been convicted before a court of law for a crime or misdemeanor or documents are missing, the processing will take more time.
- Certificate will be issued in either English or French only.
- For all application made at Police Divisional Headquarters, if applicant is unable to collect his certificate on the mention collection date, he/she can delegate another person to collect same provided an authorization letter is produced mentioning reason thereof and receipt of collection.
- There is no validity period for a certificate of character.
- As per the certificate of Character Act 2012 all crimes and misdemeanor appearing in the 2nd schedule will be mentioned on the certificate.
- Individual: Rs100
- Additional Individuals: Rs50
- Company: Rs300
- The applicant may contact the helpdesk on 2149794 during Office Hours (9:00 to 16:00) or send an email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The applicant may also contact respective Police Divisional Headquarters.